On 16 August 2013, the Federal President of Austria, Dr. Heinz Fischer and his wife Margit Fischer visited the permanent exhibition “Radiation and Mankind” of Echophysics, the history of physics centre located at Poellau Castle, Austria. The exhibit was renovated and expanded in 2013 as part of the development of the Echhophysics centre.
It should have been a strictly private visit to Echophysics and to the V.F. Hess Research and Heritage Centre. Of course, the regional mayors and legislative representatives took the opportunity to join the party, too. Peter Maria Schuster, chairman of the EPS History of Physics Group used his expertise in the history of physics to act as the guide.
This was the first visit to Poellau, Austria, by a Federal President of Austria since 1924.
Echophysics is the first European Centre for the History of Physics. It combines the material of two commemorative events: the foundation of the Vienna Institute of Radium Research in 1910 and the 100th anniversary of the discovery of cosmic rays by V.F. Hess. Learn more about Echophysics in the 42-4 issue of EPN.